Monday, November 22, 2010

A big update.

Time passes and I forget to write. Time passes and I forget to stop and reflect. Time passes and I forget!

Now it is the middle (almost the end) of November and I have spent the last three months in a gorgeous place with a wonderful job and I have forgotten the details. I'll do my best to make up for the lost time here.

In the end of August, Travis and I drove the 30 or so hours to Incline Village, Nevada. My new home. The very day we made it to our destination we SAW A BEAR! I have since seen 4 bears in my life, and I am still counting. I love seeing bears. Every time it is a ZEN moment when it seems like all of the world stops around you. People stop talking, the wind stops blowing, all to take in the beautiful sight of a big, furry animal waddling through the town.

I pledged my commitment to America in the beginning of September. "I will get things done for America" were the exact words I had to say to announce my commitment to AmeriCorps. Kind of cool and honorable.

I started work at Tahoe's Connection for Families that very same day. I work at a parenting education facility with a complete childhood development program as well. In laymen terms that means that from 9-noon every morning I hang out with families and their kids. We play games, sing songs, recreate. The parents go into a class for about an hour of that time with varying topics such as potty training, discipline, sleeping, food, etc. while Pattye (one of my coworkers) and I play with kids and feed them snack.

From noon-5 every day I assist in all of the things it takes to run a business. I answer phones, respond to emails, manage money, apply for grants, organize fundraisers, translate documents to Spanish, work on the website (www.tcfkids.com) and any other thing that needs to be done. It is pretty great. I truly love my job.

Living in Lake Tahoe is awesome. It is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever lived in my life. To see the Lake glowing and mountains hovering in the background is such an energizing sight. It has a very calming and healing nature about it.

I live with three girls named Cora, Grace and Lyndsay. We have a small little condo which serves us very well. We each have our own bedroom and bathroom. And we even have a fireplace in our living room! Fireplaces make everything so cozy!

Okay, I have to go. But I will make an effort to keep things updated. Not really for anyone else other than myself. But I would also love it if others would read it!

Sending love,

Vanessa.

No comments: