Thursday, August 24, 2006

My First Night in my dorm room.

So my first night actually in my college dorm!! how weird, I will definitly post pictures of the room and everything, but not right at the moment. Today was really sort of overwhelming. We had event after event of stuff to do, we had to just like move everything in to the room then we had to meet with our orientation groups. I really liked the girls in my orientation group. There were 5 of us total, Mary Grace who is from North Carolina, Nina from Rhode Island, Sarah from, i don't remember but she is really in to theater and singing and we want to try out from the same choirs. Then Dianna who is from new york. They were a great group of girls to get to know on the first day, they were nice to have someone to sit with and to just have someone to hang out with.

We had a "signing in" ceremony today, where we actually sign our names in a book and then we sign out our names when we graduate. It is a tradition that has been going on ever since the school started having students in the late 1700's. It was amazing to think about all of the people who had walked those steps. Our core funder of the school was Thomas Jefferson so his footprints are all over our campus. The man who started our school, Benjamin Rush was a signer of the declaration of independence and did many wonderful things for our country. I sort of felt like becoming a part of this college was like becoming a citizen of our country. I just feel like so many people who changed the United States were in the exact same place that I am now. It is sort of powering, I have the power to make a difference in this country, and even the greater world. That is one thing I love about this school, it gives you the opportunity to do almost anything. There have been two presidents, one vice president, two supreme court justices... just people in huge positions have been where I am right now, on their first day of school in their new dorm. How amazing.



(this is a statue of our found, benjamin rush... and parents gawking at it, as usual)


I am really worried to be without my parents tomorrow, they are leaving and I don't know what I am going to do with myself. I know I am ready to take on the world my own, with their support of course, but I am so scared to be without them for three months. Last night I couldn't sleep in the bed and breakfast and my mom and I stayed up late talking about it, our last night sleeping in the same bed. I am so used to being able to crawl in with her whenever i need to.. I am worried about not having that option. It is so great having both my mom and my dad out here though. they are both good and different things, my dad made sure i got my computer set up and my bike and fixed the frame of my bed and took care of outlets and printers and stuff. And my mom made sure I had a cozy bed and that there was enough room for all of my clothes.. they sort of specialized i guess. Anyway, It is going to be really hard to say goodbye to them tomorrow.. I will probably cry, but I think it is normal. And of course, I can always talk to them whenever. well I am really tired and I think i am going to head to bed, i will write more tomorrow. Goodnight.

No comments: