Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Last Post in the USA

Querido Lectores,

Today I am very nervous. What the hell did I get myself into? I have been longing to get away and experience something new.. really do something different! But today I am kicking myself for this adventurous soul of mine. My heart and my head love to battle. My heart is so willing to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. My heart is so excited to experience this incredible world of ours. My head, on the other hand, is lecturing me. What could have possibly convinced me that leaving my home, my family, my friends and any sense of normalcy and moving to South America would be a good idea? I have had knots in my stomach for the past two days. I know that what I am about to embark on is an experience that I am so fortunate to have. I am so blessed to have the means and the time to take this trip, and I will most likely never have an experience like this again. That is why I have to listen to Jack Johnson when he says:

"You don't always have to hold your head, higher than you heart"

For those of you who don't exactly know where Chile is... here you go! Here is where I am going to spend the next 6 months.


So last night my mom threw a wonderful going away party for me at our country club. We had the most delicious chilean food! It was a four course meal with Scallops, Shepards Pie, Chicken with chilean sauce and a chilean type of cookie for dessert. It was incredible! I hope that all food in Chile is that delicious. I had 4 friends come and then Steve's family also came to celebrate with us. It was a ton of fun, full of sombrero hats and salsa dancing (which i'm sure is more mexican than anything else, but we were creative with what we had) It was a really nice send off.






I really enjoyed the going away party, and thank you to everyone who came to say goodbye to me. It really meant a lot to me to have you there, encouraging me in my dreams.

So tomorrow I board a plane at 3:30pm from Minneapolis, I have a layover in Atlanta, Georgia where I meet up with my dad and sherry. We then take a 9.5 hour flight to Santiago, Chile. Oh goodness.


Thanks for reading my blog, it feels so nice to know that people are following me and helping me get through this big leap of faith. I hope you all find peace in your hearts today and dream a little about the adventures you are going to have throughout your life.

Sending my all of my love in my final moments in the United States, Happy Valentine's day too!

*vanessa*

P.S - "One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time"

4 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

beautiful post.
Be careful, and enjoy ea day.
Relish in the memories u make every day. can't wait to hear all about it.. hugs, bonnierose

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Looking forward to keeping up with your venture and making sure things are going well. In a few SHORT months we'll get together for our summer "Christmas".

Love you,

Kermit & Nancy

Unknown said...

It was great fun...but now the adventure begins. You will have an experiance like none other.
Good luck and laugh a lot.
My best,
Steve

Sarah Hogan said...

Vanessa!! Good luck!! It is scary but you can most definitely do it! I promise that it will be amazing even if it's not in the moment. Love from Tunisia!!

and p.s.- at least you know some of the language!!

Sarah